This year the Chesterfield County Library is offering another exciting summer reading program at all our branches! We will be having different programs for all age groups from toddlers to children, teens and adults. Everyone is invited and encouraged to sign up.
Our children’s program this year, “Every Hero Has A Story” will run from June 8-Aug. 7. We will behaving a special kickoff week from June 8-12. Please join Mrs. Harvey and staff at your local branch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to register yourself and your children, pick up your packets and get a snow cone and some popcorn while you do! Schedule for kickoff registration is located in the calendar of events.
All children will receive prizes throughout the summer for every reading level they reach. Babies and toddlers receive prizes as they complete activities with a parent.
The teen summer reading program, “Unmask,” will also begin June 8. Teens can sign up during kickoff week. We will be hosting special programs and meetings for our NOVEL Teens on Wednesday at the Matheson Library. Teens are encouraged register for the teen lock-in scheduled from 5 -9 p.m July 31. Porkchop Productions will be returning for a special “Unmask” workshop.
Storytime for the early literacy program and children’s programs run from June 15-July 30. Schedule follows:
• Monday, Chesterfield Library – Storytime at 10:30 a.m., children’s programs at 3 p.m.
• Tuesday, Matheson Library – Storytime at 10:30 a.m., children’s programs at 3 p.m.
• Wednesday, Pageland Library – Storytime at 10:30 a.m., children’s programs at 3 p.m.
• Thursday, McBee Depot Library – Storytime at 10:30 a.m., children’s programs at 3 p.m.
• Friday, Fannie D. Memorial Library -Storytime at 10:30 a.m., children’s programs at 3 p.m. (Jefferson).
We have performances from Porkchop Productions, Greg Zelnik the Magician and Sharon Clarke scheduled and will also have visits from our local police department, firefighters and the Chesterfield Animal Shelter.
Cheraw Rec Center will be hosting our big wrapup event on Aug. 7. For the first time, we will be having our own “Comic Con.” Everyone is encouraged to attend this event, where you can collect final prizes, get a READ poster made, have snacks and more!
Your local branch will have all the details for the upcoming summer reading programs.
Thank you to Hospice of Chesterfield County and the Friends of the Library for their generous donations for this Comic Con. We would also like to thank Lynches River and Sandhill Telephone for their donations to the program this year. Our local contributors help make our programs amazing!
Calendar of events:
• June 8 – Summer reading program kickoff, 11 a.m.
• June 2,9,16,23,30 – Seated tai chi – open to all, 10 a.m.
• June 10 – Adult summer reading kickoff – Movie “InterStellar,” 2 p.m.
• June 17-30 – Super Power Board
• June 26 – Luncheon and book signing – author Patti Callahan Henry – 11 a.m. Call 843-623-7489 to purchase tickets
• June 1-5 – Adult summer reading registration – Chocolate Fest bingo contest June 9 – summer reading program kickoff, 11 a.m.
• June 24 – Movie “Lone Survivor,” 2 p.m.
• June 11 – Summer reading program kickoff, 11 a.m.
• June 16 – Movie “Courageous,” 2 p.m.
• June 12 – summer reading program kickoff, 11 a.m June 17; Movie “Courageous,” 2 p.m.
Summer reading program
• June 9 – adult summer reading registration – Movie “Selma,” 2 p.m.
• June 10 – summer reading program kickoff, 11 a.m.
• June 16 – Super Power Board, 2 p.m.
• June 24 -Movie “Still Alice,” 2 p.m.
• June 30 – Book review (book of your choice about a hero) 2 p.m.
• June 10,17, 24 -seated tai chi – open to all, 10 a.m.
• June 11 – free divorce workshop, 4 p.m.
• June 8 – Art meetup, 6 p.m.
Jane Crossman is a library specialist with the Chesterfield County Library System.